JSTUB™ allows you to share a L1 / L2 / J1772 plug with other vehicles, even if the plug is locked to your car. Your JSTUB™ will remain locked to your car, but allows others to use the charge station when you're car is done charging, or your time has expired, and you don't have to be there at all!!!
There's no need to leave your office cubicle just to go move or unplug your car! Specifically for cars like Nissan LEAF, Chevy Volt, BMW i3, Volkswagen eGolf, among others.
JSTUB™ - is a 21 inch (end to end) 40 Amp compatible extension cable that maintains all functional and safety protocols of the J1772 / L1 / L2 charging system used by virtually every other modern Electric Vehicle (EV) sold in North America, Japan, and Europe (Type 1 plug).
JSTUB™ works with the following cars:
Nissan LEAF, Nissan eNV-2000, VW eGolf, Chevy Volt, Chevy Spark EV, Toyota Prius Plug-In, Kia Soul EV, Tesla Model S, 3, and X (with Tesla supplied adapter), Toyota Rav4 EV, Mercedes B Class ED, BMW i3 and i8, Ford Focus Electric, Ford C-Max Energy, Ford Fusion Energy, Fiat 500e, ZERO motorcycle (2015 and newer with J1772), Brammo motorcycle, Smart Electric Drive, Honda Fit EV, Ford C-Max Energi, Karma Fisker, Mitsubishi iMiev, Cadillac ELR, Fiat 500e, Porshe Cayenne S-E, Porsche Panamera S-E, Honda Accord Plug-In.
We started by designing the very best cable for the job, and we have those cables built in California, USA. We recognize that there's always a market for the cheaper product, but unfortunately we won't use products that don't meet our high standards. Here are some of the key features of our JSTUB™:
1) Our JSTUB™ is the only J1772 extension that gives you 100% of the protections of J1772 (proximity disconnect, ground fault, pilot signal, etc). I personally think it's absolutely critical not to substitute lower price and quality for safety standards.
Most Chinese cables used by competitors do not carry proximity detection at all. The reason that they can't do this is because the cables don't even have the required wires inside to perform this critical task. That means that every time you disconnect the J1772 charge station from the extension while the car is charging, there will be a "hot" disconnect which can damage equipment and cause a spark / arcing. Not my idea of a smart or safe design.
2) Because we build our own cables, we make ongoing improvements. First, all the power wires are doubled. Instead of two, we have four parallel power wires in the cable. This allows us to build an ultra light weight and super flexible cable and very strong cable. Secondly, we include all the communication wires necessary for safety. There are actually 8 conductors in each of our cable assemblies. The Chinese cables use half.
3) Chinese cables are HEAVY and clunky, and not very flexible. We don't even offer them anymore as a resale item at any price.
4) At least one competitor was soldering wires to the power pins. We absolutely have NEVER done this, even from the first one built. All of our connections are crimped to aerospace / mil-spec standards using commercial air powered and calibrated tooling, dies and locators. We have never had a failure of these parts. As you might imagine, failure in this area can damage a car or burn a house down.
5) The competition doesn't use a handle at all on the inlet end. NONE. There is a cheap plastic "dust cap" that can be compressed with your fingers. Our inlet handle is built from 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum alloy, cut to shape on an industrial water jet, and TIG welded. Then, we powder coat the handle with a slip resistant finish and laser etch our logo. You can DRIVE YOUR CAR OVER OUR HANDLE and it will not crush. Since these handles are designed to lay on the ground, this seemed like a smart design requirement to us.
6) The competition uses either a 32 amp version or 50 amp version of the Chinese cable. Our current model is 40 amp capable, which means that every known J1772 vehicle in the world can safely use it. Tesla Model S/3/X can also use JLong™ with the Tesla adaptor, however "twin charger" equipped cars and Roadster will have to limit their charge rate to 40 amps when connected to charge stations with more than 40 amps capacity.
- Limited One-Year Warranty: FREE
- Item #: JSTUB